Protecting your documents is a very important task, especially in an office where un-needed documents can go to the wrong people hands if they are not being specially cared and do damage to you or your clients. That’s why a paper shredder is a must-have for offices.
Paper shredder is a device that cup paper into Chad. Paper shredders are used by Government organizations, businesses, offices and individuals to destroy private, sensitive documents. Privacy experts themselves often recommend businesses and individuals to use paper shredders in order shred any important documents they have, and they don’t want other people to use later. Even the US Federal Trade Commission recommends defending identity theft by shredding important financial documents.
There are many kinds of paper shredders, but the best paper shredders for offices are of course – office shredders. Office shredders are usually mid volume; those shredders are designed to be used by more than one person. They are faster and more massive than personal paper shredders. Advanced office shredders can also shred CD’s.
The Types of Office Shredders
There are many office shredders, so to make it easier for you; it’s possible to divide them by their shredding style. Each style has different advantages and is used for other activities.
- Cross-Cut Shredders – cross-cut shredders provide more security to the user by cutting the paper vertically and horizontally into little paper pieces. The disadvantage of these shredders is that they might require more work to maintain it and its supplies cost more. In addition, cross-cut shredders are strong-built and they can shred most kinds of documents.
- Strip-Cut Shredders – Strip-cut shredders slice paper into long and small strips. Strip-cut shredders usually can handle a lot of shredding work with lower maintenance needs. As a result of the shredded paper size, you will need to empty your basket frequently.
Choosing an Office Shredder
There are some questions you need to ask yourself when deciding on an office paper shredder. What type of document you will be shredding? Does you documents are top secret or sensitive? If you need the office shredder only to shred regular documents, when the standard office shredder will be good for you. But if your documents are top secret, then you might want to order more advanced one.
As the shredder you are going to buy will be used in an office, you should choose a shredder that can shred a minimum of 12 to15 sheets of paper at a time.
All in all, remember that this paper shredder should stay for long time in your office, so make sure it’s stable and come from a trusted office-products company.
Identity Fraud is probably the fastest growing crime in the UK and it affects both businesses and individuals.Even though everyone thinks they know about identity fraud research has shown time and time again that it’s really not high up on the list of priorities of either consumers or businesses.
This week is National Identity Fraud Prevention Week; National Identity Fraud Prevention Week is a UK-wide effort to help in the battle against identity fraud.
Facts about Identity Fraud in the UK
According to National ID Fraud team:
- 95% of people believe ID fraud threatens them personally
- 7% of people states they have been victims of ID fraud
- 25% of people do not shred sensitive documents at home
- 88% of people who use social networking sites have shared items of personal information online that could be used by ID fraudsters
- 54% of people are concerned about having personal information stolen from organisations they deal with
- 96% of people are not completely confident that the organisations they deal with treat their personal information in such a way that it will not accidentally fall into the hands of identity fraudsters.
- 79% of employees admit identities could be at risk – yet 39% do not shred all high-risk documents before disposing of them when working away from their regular office environment, including 21% of victims.
- 61% of employees think their organisation should be doing more to ensure the secure handling of confidential documents relating to them, their colleagues and its customers.
- Company policies about identity fraud are down from 68% in 2008 to 52%; there is a corresponding increase in people’s lack of awareness about this issue (up from 11% in 2008 to 26% now) possibly reflecting employees’ verdicts on the effectiveness of policies.
Choosing the right shredder for your requirements
There are a number of different standards to the way shredders cut sensitive documents and it’s important that you choose the right shredder for your requirements.
Below you will find a list of the different DIN standards along with the level of sensitivity of a document.
- DIN Level 1 – General - Low Security Strips 12mm and thinner
- DIN Level 2 – Internal - Low-Medium Security Strips 6mm and thinner – Particles 800mm2 (max)“
- DIN Level 3 – Confidential - Medium Security Strips 2mm and thinner – Particles 4 x 80mm (max)
- DIN Level 4 – Secret - Medium-High Security – Particles 2 x 15mm
- DIN Level 4 – Top Secret - High Security – Particles 0.8 x 12mm
- DIN Level 4 – Highest Security - Particles 0.8 x 4mm
www.iClickShredders.co.uk: Supporting National Identity Fraud Prevention Week
iClick is fully behind the National Identity Fraud Prevention Week and realise one of the easiest ways to protect your personal and business data is to purchase a document shredder, visit www.iClickShredders.co.uk for more information.